the tea dress

This dress represents a real change for the Betiko silhouette.  For years I've liked a straight close line - skimming the body in selected places, then flaring gently to accentuate rather than reveal.  But this dress is different.  Not necessarily in the sum of it's parts - it uses the linea top and the full skirt pattern.  But in the result of this combination there is something new.  I have never, ever before made a design that is belted at the waist.  And now I have - and I love it! 
As you can see, it is not a closely fitted bodice - it can easily be pulled over your head with no need for a zip.  I find this both comfortable and flattering.  It also allows for easy fitting for different body types - if it fits at the bust (in most cases) the rest will follow.   (I find this aspect very important as my own body defies any known size chart!).  The pockets add visual width at the skirt, accentuating the waist and overall silhouette.
Tea dress in African wax fabric
Why the change?  Well I guess it was a natural design progression - my skirts have been getting fuller and fuller and although I flirt with loose drapey tops, I always come back to the fitted bust.   My last dress design, the Peony was a scoop cut linea top with a rectangle cut full skirt.  It gave heaps of shape and looked fabulous particularly on the smaller busted.  On the larger busted it tends to billow out over the tummy - good it you've got a tummy to cover, not so good if you don't.  When I belted the Peony the shape looked great but the lines were all wrong.
The Peony dress
Anyway, change is exciting and I'm looking forward to exploring the possibilities of this new Tea dress style.  I will be making it up in African wax fabric, lovely old retro cotton and possibly Indian block prints too (plus anything else I come across that I think will look good.
I thought I was a bit new and cutting edge using the wax fabric, but I see lots of other people are using it too.  Not surprising really - it is a lovely close weave pure cotton with a fabulous array of prints and colors AND it's really nice to sew AND really nice to wear.
New Tea dresses will be available in the on-line shop next week, and custom orders are welcome :).

Comments